The Carlson laboratory studies signaling events in excitable cells. Specifically, it is focused on:
• Uncovering the signaling pathways evoked in the egg within minutes of sperm entry.
• Understand the molecular mechanisms of polyspermy block; preventing fertilization by more than one sperm.
• Elucidate the role of lipid PIP2 in early embryonic development.
Regulation of the Ca2+ activated Cl- channel TMEM16a:
• Uncover the role of PIP2 in regulating TMEM16a gating
• Determine signaling pathways that open TMEM16a channels